Sleep is important, but it can be hard to fall asleep at times. Here are some ways to fall asleep easier.
Sleeping is something that everyone needs to do. Sleep is the body’s way of rejuvenating and reenergizing so that it can go through another day. Lack of sleep is a serious condition called sleep deprivation. When one stays awake for 20 to 25 hours, the performance impairment is similar to that of someone with a blood-alcohol level of 0.10 percent, which can lead to fatal accidents when driving or at work. In extreme circumstances, if a person does not sleep, it will eventually lead to death.
Things like insomnia, sleep apnea, restless legs syndrome, night terrors, sleepwalking, and other problems can keep someone from falling asleep. So, here are some ways make falling asleep easier.
- Exercising during the day can make you body expend excess energy, so that the body is tired and ready to fall asleep at night. Exercising also releases serotonin which improves quality of sleep.
- Don’t drink coffee or alcohol before bedtime. They interfere both with falling asleep and with the quality of sleep.
- Don’t take long naps during the day. It keeps you from falling asleep at night.
- Don’t go to bed hungry. But, don’t eat heavy meals either. Both will keep you awake.
- Don’t use electronic screens up to an hour before bedtime. The glare from the screens keeps you awake.
- Keep the room cool, and without light or noise. You fall asleep faster and sleep better if the bedroom is cooler. Even a little bit of light or noise can keep you awake.
- Read a book or magazine. It can help occupy your mind to keep it away from things that keep you awake.
- Taking a warm bath can relax and de-stress you, so that you fall asleep sooner.
- A warm glass of milk is also said to help fall asleep.
- Yoga or gentle stretching can relax your body, allowing it to fall asleep faster.
- Meditation can help relax your mind.
- Loose clothing and comfortable bedding also go a long way. If you are uncomfortable, you will not be able to fall asleep.
- Find a good posture. Again, if you are comfortable, it makes falling asleep easier.
- Count to a hundred or count sheep to distract your mind and fall asleep.
- A regular bedtime and a regular wake up time can help normalize your schedule. If your body knows that it should be asleep at this time, it will do so without much prompting.
Image Courtesy: whatsthebestbed.org