Justin Bieber: Justin Bieber is a Canadian pop musician, actor, and singer-songwriter.
Who is Justin Bieber?
Justin Bieber is a Canadian pop musician, actor, and singer-songwriter. He got his break when an American talent manager Scooter Braun came across one of his videos on YouTube. Bieber was then offered a recording contract, and the rest as they say is history. Justin Bieber is now a billboard topping pop star, who even has his own concert film and a line of perfume fragrances. He even partakes in philanthropy.
Where was Justin Bieber born?
Justin Drew Bieber was born on March 1, 1994. His birth took place at St Joseph's Hospital in London, Ontario, Canada. His parents are Jeremy Jack Bieber and Patricia "Pattie" Mallette, who weren’t officially married. Mallette was 18 at the time of Justin’s birth. His parents tried to maintain a relationship; however they broke up ten months after Justin’s birth. Pattie then moved to Stratford, Ontario, and raised Justin with the help of her mother, Diane, and stepfather, Bruce.
How did Justin Bieber get his start?
According to his mother, Justin Bieber was always musically inclined. Even though Pattie Mallette raised her son on a limited earning, he taught himself music, including playing the piano, drums, guitar, and trumpet. Utilizing these talents, Justin began singing and covering songs by various R&B artists, as well as participating in singing contests and talent shows with these covers. At the age of 12, Justin’s cover of Ne-Yo's "So Sick" earned him a second place in a local singing competition.
However, a lot of Justin’s family lived far away and often were unable to make it for these shows and performances. So, Pattie started uploading these videos to Youtube, as a method to share these performances with her family and friends. Eventually, these performance videos started garnering views and soon Justin Bieber was somewhat of a viral Internet sensation.
Scooter Braun, Justin Bieber’s current manager, accidentally stumbled across one of Bieber’s videos, while he was surfing YouTube to check out the videos of another young artist. Braun was so impressed with Bieber’s voice that he tracked down the theater Bieber was performing in, which was located at Bieber’s school. Braun then contacted Bieber’s mom and asked to fly Justin to Atlanta, Georgia to record demo tapes. As Justin was 13 at the time, and the fact that Braun was Jewish made Pattie Mallette apprehensive. However, after praying with her church elders and receiving their encouragement, she permitted Braun to fly Bieber out of Canada.
A week after arriving, Bieber sang for R&B singer/songwriter Usher. Bieber had also impressed Justin Timberlake, who also bid for Bieber’s contract. However, Bieber was soon signed to Raymond Braun Media Group (RBMG), which was a joint venture between Braun and Usher. This was probably facilitated by Braun, who was one of the people that Bieber really trusted. This was also the reason that Braun eventually took over as Bieber’s manager.
After signing Bieber to RBMG, Usher then sought assistance in finding a label home for Bieber, which he did with help from his then manager Chris Hicks. They got Bieber an audition with The Island Def Jam Music Group. Bieber eventually then signed to Island Records in October 2008, as part of a joint venture between Island Records and RBMG, which marked the beginning of an international pop sensation.
What is Justin Bieber famous for?
After signing his contract with Island Records and RBMG, Justin Bieber went on to release various albums. His first single, was “One Time,” which was released when Bieber was still recording his debut album. In the first week of its launch, the song reached number 12 on the Canadian Hot 100 and later peaked at number 17 on the Billboard Hot 100. The song was certified Platinum in Canada and the US and Gold in Australia and New Zealand.
On November 17, 2009, his extended play, ‘My World’ was released. The album included his songs, “One Time”, "One Less Lonely Girl", "Love Me", and "Favorite Girl". The album was eventually certified Platinum in the US and Double Platinum in both Canada and the UK.
His debut album, ‘My World 2.0’ was released on March 19, 2010. It was preceded by his lead single for the album “Baby,” which was released in January 2010. This song can generally be credited as leading Bieber to height of international recognition. The song charted at number five on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 and reached the top ten in several international markets. Two promo singles from the album, "Never Let You Go", and "U Smile" were top thirty hits on the U.S. Hot 100, and top twenty hits in Canada. The album ‘My World 2.0’ debuted at number one on the U.S. Billboard 200, as well as number one on the Canadian Albums Chart, Irish Albums Chart, Australian Albums Chart, and the New Zealand Albums Chart. The album also reached the top ten of fifteen other countries.
Bieber has since gone on to produce two more albums ‘Under the Mistletoe’ which was released in 2011, and ‘Believe’ released in 2012. Both continued his success. ‘Under the Mistletoe’ debuted at #1 on the Billboard 200, selling 210,000 copies in its first week of release.
‘Believe’ marked a change for Bieber. With the album, Bieber aimed to move away from his iconic teen pop sound, and more towards the dance-pop and R&B genres. It seemed to have been successful, as the first single from the album, entitled “Boyfriend” debuted at number two on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 chart. The single ended up selling a total of 521,000 digital units in the week, the second-highest-ever debut digital sales week. Furthermore, a film titled Believe 3D is planned to be released sometime in 2013. The movie is an indirect sequel to ‘Never Say Never’ and will document the Believe Tour. Like Never Say Never it will be produced by Jon Chu.
In addition to albums, Bieber has also released a 3-D part-biopic, part-concert film, titled ‘Justin Bieber: Never Say Never.’ It was released on February 11, 2011, and was directed by Jon Chu, of Step Up 3D fame. It opened in 3,105 theaters and topped the box office with an estimated gross of $12.4 million on its opening day. Over its first weekend, it grossed $30.3 million. Never Say Never grossed a total of $98,441,954 worldwide.
Bieber has also tried his hand at acting. He guest starred on the season premiere of the CBS crime drama CSI: Crime Scene Investigation. The premiere aired on September 23, 2010. His character was a "troubled teen who is faced with a difficult decision regarding his only brother", who is also a serial bomber.
Furthermore, Bieber has also launched his own line of perfumes, including ‘Girlfriend’, ‘Someday’, and ‘The Key’. Bieber is also known for investing in tech startups, the details of which are handled by his business manager. Bieber made his first startup investment in 2009. He has since then invested millions in a dozen small technology company startups. These include Stamped, Spotify, and game-for-good company SoJo Studios. He has stated that he only invests in a product, if he believes in it.
Justin Bieber has also been known to be involved in philanthropy.
List of albums that Justin Bieber has released:
- My World (2009)
- My World 2.0 (2010)
- Under the Mistletoe (2011)
- Believe (2012)
Is Justin Bieber involved in philanthropy?
Among his various achievements, he is also involved in philanthropy. He has been known to supports Pencils of Promise, a charity founded by Adam Braun. Adam Braun is the younger brother of Scooter Braun, Bieber’s manager. Pencils of Promise helps build schools in developing countries.
Bieber is currently the manager for the organization's campaign in Guatemala. He has also served as a celebrity spokesman for the organization, which involved running ads for the charity and its campaign "Schools4All". He has also promised to visit the schools that donate the most money to the organization. He also actively participates in the charity's fund-raising galas.
Additionally, Bieber also donates parts of the proceeds from his concerts, as well as part of the proceeds from the sales of his perfume, “Someday’ to the cause. He also donates various merchandising to the charity.
Bieber has also appeared in an animal welfare PSA for PETA encouraging people to volunteer at and adopt from animal shelters instead of buying pets from breeders or pet stores. In order to show his support Bieber had adopted a papillon named Sam from a shelter.
Fun Facts about Justin Bieber:
- Patricia "Pattie" Mallette, Justin Bieber’s mother was 18 when she gave birth to Justin Bieber.
- His parents were never officially married.
- Bieber has German, English and Irish ancestry from his father’s side. His mother is French Canadian. Justin has once stated that he believes that he has some undetermined Aboriginal Canadian ancestry.
- Mallette's once said that everyone around her tried to push her toward abortion, and how she refused to abort Justin.
- Mallette raised Justin as a single mother in low-income housing, supporting herself and him by working low-paying office jobs.
- Jeremy Jack Bieber, his dad is now married to Erin Wagner. They have two children Jazmin and Jaxon.
- While growing up, Justin attended the Jeanne Sauvé Catholic School, a French-language immersion elementary school in Stratford, Ontario.
- Growing up, Justin was interested in hockey, soccer, and chess.
- Justin began showing an interest in music at the age of two.
- At the age of four, he taught himself to play drums.
- When he was six, he began performing on the street in front of the Avon Theatre in Stratford. He earned $3000. Justin used the money to take a vacation to Disneyworld in Florida.
- Bieber taught himself to play the piano, drums, guitar, and trumpet.
- At the age of 12, in 2007, Justin sang Ne-Yo's "So Sick" for a local singing competition in Stratford. He came in second place.
- His mother uploaded videos of his performances for relatives living far way to see. These videos helps Justin garner a following on the internet, and eventually help him get a record deal.
- Justin Bieber got his first tattoo on his 16th birthday with his father at the Sun of a Gun parlor in Toronto. The tattoo is of a seagull and is reminiscent of Jonathan Livingston’s Seagull, which is a book about a young seagull learning how to fly and learning about life in the process. The book’s cover features the outline of a bird in flight, which is identical to Justin and Jeremy’s tattoo. Bieber’s father has the same tattoo in the same place, above the left waistline. It is a rite of passage for all Bieber males when they turn 16.
- According to PopstarTats.com, as of July 2013, Justin has 20 tattoos in all: a small bird tattoo on his hip; a Hebrew “Yeshua,” vertically running down his ribcage under his left armpit; an image of Jesus on his left calf; a pair of praying hands on his left leg; “Believe” tattooed on the inside of this left arm near the elbow; Japanese symbol meaning ‘music’ on the inside of his right arm near the elbow; a crown tattoo on his chest near the collarbone; a large black and white owl on his left forearm; a bunch of in black and white below and to the side of the praying hands; a profile of a Native American man on his left shoulder blade, representative of a Canadian hockey team called the Stratford Culliton, of which his grandfather was a big fan; a roman numeral on his shoulder representing his mother’s birth year; a Greek symbol for Christ on his left forearm; koi fish tattoo on his left arm; a black and white tiger with its teeth bared on his left bicep; a Selena Gomez angel tattoo on his left wrist; A knight holding a sword on the inside of his left arm; a large castle with thrashing waves on his left arm; a bleeding globe being crucified on the cross wearing a crown of thorns on his left wrist; an eye on the inside of his left elbow; and a rose tattoo on his left arm completing his tattoo sleeve on his left arm.
- Bieber is a practicing Christian. He claims to have a relationship with Jesus, talks to him and states that "he's the reason I'm here".
- Bieber has stated that he does not "believe in abortion" and that it is "like killing a baby".
- Bieber described sexual orientation as "everyone's own decision". He has contributed to the It Gets Better Project, which aims to prevent suicide among LGBT youth.
- Bieber has stated that he is not interested in obtaining United States citizenship. He has criticized America's health care system. He praises Canada as being "the best country in the world", citing its health care system as a model example.
- In 2011, Bieber started dating Selena Gomez, a singer and actress. They broke up in November 2012, but reconciled later the same month. However, in January 2013, it was reported that they had broken up again.
- In March 2011, he was photographed making an obscene gesture at a photographer outside his 17th birthday party; however, he later released a public apology via Twitter. This case was the first time.
- In July 2012, he was pulled over on the Ventura Freeway in San Fernando Valley, Los Angeles Metro by California Highway Patrol, for driving over 100 miles per hour. He claimed he was trying to get away from a team of photographers.
- On January 1, 2013, a paparazzo, Chris Guerra, was killed while attempting to cross the street after he saw Bieber's car and pursued it on foot to take a picture of him. Bieber was not in the car at the time.
- He had a pet capuchin monkey, which was confiscated at customs agents in Germany in March 2013, as the pet did not have any health documents. The monkey was then rehabilitated in a wildlife park.
- In March 2013, Bieber was involved in an altercation with a photographer in London which resulted in him being restrained by his own bodyguard. He was heard swearing at the photographer. Bieber resorted to Twitter to blame the incident on a 'rough week.'
- In April 2013, Bieber visited the Anne Frank House in Amsterdam. He caused controversy, via writing in the museum's guest book, that it was "Truly inspiring to be able to come here. Anne was a great girl. Hopefully she would have been a belieber." This was followed by a media backlash.
- On May 2, 2013, Devin "the Dude" Copeland filed a lawsuit against Bieber and Usher for alleged copyright infringement. The lawsuitwas filed in a Norfolk federal court. It stated that Bieber's 2010 single "Somebody to Love" copied a song of the same name that was written by Copeland in 2008. Copeland claims that Bieber's song containing "several lyrical and stylistic similarities" to Copeland's lyrics. Copeland is seeking $10 million in damages.
- On August 20, 2013, Bieber was detained by police at an airport in Florida for drug possession.
- As of May 2013, Bieber's Twitter account (@justinbieber) is the most popular celebrity account, with 41 million followers. His account acquires one new follower every other second.
Image Courtesy: last.fm, fanpop.com