Selena Gomez: Selena Gomez is an American singer and actress.
Who is Selena Gomez?
Selena Gomez is an American singer and actress. She started working as a child star around the age of 10. She has since gone on to become a successful actress and singer. She has even collaborated on a fashion line and a shoe line. She also works with numerous charitable foundations, as well as with UNICEF.
Where was Selena Gomez born?
Selena Gomez was born to Amanda Dawn "Mandy" Teefey and Ricardo Joel Gomez on July 22, 1992 in Grand Prairie, Texas, USA. Selena is actually named after the Tejano singer Selena, who died almost three years after Gomez was born. Selena’s mother was 16, when Selena was born. Her mother, who was adopted, has some Italian ancestry, whereas her father was Mexican. Her parents split up when she was 5 years old, and she was raised by her single working mother.
How did Selena Gomez get her start?
Selena Gomez auditioned for a few things while growing up. However, she got a first break in 2002, when she was selected to play a recurring character named Gianna on the show, “Barney and Friends.” However, she left the show in 2004, as the producers felt that she was getting too old for the show. Gomez appeared in a total of 16 episodes.
What is Selena Gomez famous for?
After her work on the “Barney and Friends,” she did numerous commercials and even appeared in a few cameos. She eventually appeared for a nationwide talent search organized by Disney. There she was handpicked by Disney and signed a contract. She then acted for a couple of Disney pilots: ‘Arwin!’, a spin-off of the Suite Life’ series, the other a spin-off to the ‘Lizzie McGuire’ series. She also guest starred on ‘Hannah Montana’ and the ‘Suite Life of Zack and Cody.”
However, Gomez did not achieve fame until she starred in the Disney series “Wizards of Waverly Place,” as Alex Russo. This role catapulted her into international fame and made her a household name. She was even compared to the highly successful Disney star Miley Cyrus. She was named one of the "Eight Hot Kid Stars To Watch" by Forbes magazine. Gomez also recorded the theme song for the series for the soundtrack. This simultaneously launched her music career.
Since then, Selena Gomez appeared in various Disney movies, including “Princess Protection Program” with her friend Demi Lovato. She also acted in a direct-to-DVD film, “Another Cinderella Story” which was a sequel to “A Cinderella Story," which starred Hilary Duff. She also reprised her role as Ales Russo for the Disney Channel film, "Wizards of Waverly Place: The Movie" and “The Wizards Return: Alex vs. Alex.”
Gomez has also acted in numerous films, such as “Ramona and Beezus”, “Monte Carlo”, “Spring Breakers”, etc. She has also given her voice for “Horton Hears a Who!”, “Arthur and the Revenge of Maltazard,” “Arthur 3: The War of the Two Worlds” and ‘Hotel Transylvania.”
In 2009, she also formed her own band, “Selena Gomez & the Scene” and has released three studio albums with them, as well as numerous singles. After the released of her third album, Gomez announced that she was talking a hiatus from music to focus on her acting career. However, she returned to music and launched a solo debut album, titled “Stars Dance.”
In addition to music and acting, Selena Gomes has also launched her own fashion line called "Dream Out Loud by Selena Gomez," which is manufactured by, Melillo and Campos teamed with New York-based Adjmi Apparel and formed by Adjmi CH Brands LLC, the holding company for the brand. She had also launched a shoe line in collaboration with Nike. In addition, she has launched a self-titled perfume with Adrenalina, an extreme sports and adventure-themed lifestyle brand.
Who are Selena Gomez’s inspirations?
In regard to her music, Selena Gomes considers Bruno Mars, Ella Fitzgerald, Katy Perry, Rihanna, Fefe Dobson, Britney Spears, Taylor Swift and Skrillex to be her inspirations, among others.
In regard to acting, her role model and favorite actress is Rachel McAdams.
List of movies Selena Gomez has appeared in:
- Spy Kids 3-D: Game Over (2003)
- Another Cinderella Story (2008)
- Horton Hears a Who! (2008) (voice)
- Arthur and the Revenge of Maltazard (2009) (voice)
- Arthur 3: The War of the Two Worlds (2010) (voice)
- Ramona and Beezus (2010)
- Monte Carlo (2011)
- The Muppets (2011)
- Hotel Transylvania (2012) (voice)
- Spring Breakers (2013)
- Aftershock (2013)
- Behaving Badly (2013)
- Getaway (2013)
- Rudderless (2014)
List of television shows and movies that Selena Gomez has appeared in:
- Barney & Friends (2002–04)
- Walker, Texas Ranger: Trial by Fire (2005) (TV Movie)
- The Suite Life of Zack & Cody (2006)
- Hannah Montana (2007–08)
- Wizards of Waverly Place (2007–12)
- Princess Protection Program (2009)
- Wizards of Waverly Place: The Movie (2009)
- The Suite Life on Deck (2009)
- The Wizards Return: Alex vs. Alex (2013)
List of albums that Selena Gomez has released:
As Selena Gomez & the Scene:
- Kiss & Tell (2009)
- A Year Without Rain (2010)
- When the Sun Goes Down (2011)
As Selena Gomez:
- Stars Dance (2013)
Is Selena Gomez involved in philanthropy?
Selena Gomez is also quite involved in various causes. In 2008, she was involved in UR Votes Count campaign which encouraged teenagers to learn more about 2008 presidential candidates, Barack Obama and John McCain. In the same year, she also participated in St. Jude's Children's Hospital "Runway For Life" benefit.
Gomez has also been involved with the charity Island Dog, which helps dogs in Puerto Rico. She is an ambassador of DoSomething.org. She is also actively involved the charity RAISE Hope For Congo, which helps raise awareness about conflict minerals and violence against Congolese women. RAISE Hope For Congo is an initiative of the Enough Project.
Gomez is also involved in Disney's Friends for Change, which promotes "environmentally-friendly behavior", and appears in its public service announcements. Gomez also recorded a charity single, "Send It On", with Demi Lovato, Miley Cyrus, and the Jonas Brothers. All proceeds from the single went to the Disney Worldwide Conservation Fund.
In 2008 and 2009, Gomez was named UNICEF's spokesperson for the Trick-or-Treat for UNICEF campaign, which encouraged children to raise money on Halloween to help children around the world. In 2009, she was named a UNICEF ambassador. She was 17 at the time and was the youngest UNICEF ambassador.
In 2009, as part of the "A Day Made Better" program, Selena Gomez made a surprise visit to a Los Angeles elementary school and gave the school an award and $1,000 worth of school supplies, and talked to students about the importance of giving back to the community. The program was sponsored by OfficeMax.
In 2010, Gomez participated in the Hope for Haiti Now Telethon along with other celebrities. In 2011, Gomez participated in the UNICEF Tap Project. The program sold "Celebrity Tap Pack," limited-edition, custom-made water bottles featuring tap water from the homes of each celebrity advocate. The program raised funds and increase profile for the clean water and sanitation programs.
In April 2012, Gomez was named ambassador to the Ryan Seacrest Foundation.
Fun Facts about Selena Gomez:
- She is named after the Tejano singer Selena, who died almost three years after Gomez was born.
- 'Selena' means Moon in Greek.
- She has a half-sister, Gracie Elliot (born June 12, 2013) from her mother’s second marriage to Brian Teefey.
- She went to Danny Jones Middle School located in Texas.
- Throughout elementary and middle school, Selena was a victim of bullying.
- She was discovered by Disney after a national casting call.
- She grew up with financial troubles. She was once quoted as saying "I remember my mom would run out of gas all of the time and we’d sit there and have to go through the car and get quarters and help her get gas because she never liked to ask my grandparents for money.”
- On being raised by a single working mother, Selena stated, “I remember having a lot of macaroni and cheese but my mom never made it seem like it was a big deal. She was really strong around me. Having me at 16 had to have been a big responsibility. My mom gave up everything for me, had three jobs, supported me sacrificed her life for me."
- Selena wasn't a fan of neither magic nor the Harry Potter franchise, before landing the role of "Alex Russo" in "Wizards of Waverly Place."
- She became interested in acting after watching her mom, Mandy Teefey prepare and get ready for her theater productions.
- Her favorite band is Paramore.
- She has Six dogs - Chip, Willy, Fina, Wallace, Chaz, and Baylor. She adopted her dog named Chip from an animal shelter.
- She wears a purity ring that says "True Love Waits".
- She is friends with Demi Lovato, Jennifer Stone, Taylor Swift, Vanessa Hudgens and Jeremy Sumpter.
- She is involved with the charity Raise Hope for Congo which helps raise awareness about the violence against Congolese women.
- In 2008, she participated in the "Runway for Life" benefit for St. Jude's Children Research Hospial.
- At the age of 17, she was named the youngest ambassador to UNICEF.
- She has been in on-off relationship with Justin Bieber since December 2010.
- In 2009, she dated Taylor Lautner for a few months.
Image Courtesy: magxwall.blogspot.com. popstaronline.com