VastuShastra is defined as the science of direction that combines all the five elements of nature and balances them with man and materials.
It deals with the science of the architecture and tells how a building should be planned to channel the positive energy in our lives. Though, Vastu was originally used for the construction rules for Hindu temples, it soon branched out to residential houses, office buildings, vehicles, sculpture, paintings, furniture etc. And, the proper use of Vastu techniques has brought peace and prosperity to many households since centuries.
It is all about the interaction of various forms of best effect on a living person. It aims to create a subtle favorable atmosphere in a structure in which we can bring the best in ourselves, thereby paving the way for enhanced health, wealth, prosperity and happiness in an enlightened environment. Like any other science, vaastu is universal, rational, practical and utilitarian. It is not a religion but a science.
VastuShastra is considered one of the ancient teachings from the Indian civilization. The age old Indian philosophers laid the principle keeping in mind the cosmic influence of the Sun, its light and heat, solar energy, directions of wind, the moon position, the earth's magnetic field and the influence of cosmos on our planet. The system is an admixture of science of directions, astronomy and astrology.
The five important elements of VastuShastra are:
Other than the elements, in VastuShastra, the directions are the most important factor of this ancient practice. There are 8 directions, and each of them can be explained as follows:
- East – it stands for sunrise, or new beginnings.
- West – it is the most pitiable direction. Though, in this direction the sun sets, which means that this direction is not really good for beginnings.
- North – it stands best for business. The planet that rules over this direction is mercury, which makes it really beneficial for people to have offices in this direction.
- South - it stands for a contradictory direction. This is because of the fact that there are mixed feelings about whether this direction works for people or not. Say, if one builds a house with a south facing entrance, they might be successful for the first few years, but after that the money will begin to stagnate and eventually start decreasing. Hence, it is better to use the south direction in cycles, so as to keep all the bad luck far away.
- North-East – it is the direction of god. It is the most auspicious one and it is known to promote positive aspects in men and women.
- North-West – it stands for the direction that handles interpersonal relationships. The kind of relationships people have with the other members of the family certainly depends on the same. Thus, there should not be much furniture in this direction.
- South-East – It stands for the logical and reasoning person.
- South-West – it is the direction of the demons, the opposite of north-east. Thus, it can command the business field and the decisions made in that field.